Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Art Within: "Best representations of faith"

I'm happily (blissfully) working away on the proposal packet for my Soul Food Movies project, which my agent will shop around to publishers this fall. When I come up for air I'll post the new entries here, but for now, here's a fun list from the Art Within website.

At the fourth of their annual Symposium/Showcase events, participants were asked to share a clip that they felt was the best representation of faith in a film or television script. Quite the Soul Food buffet!

BRUCE ALMIGHTY
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
BIG FISH
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
BEN HUR
STUDIO 60
BROTHER SUN SISTER MOON.
MAN ON FIRE
CONSTANTINE
ORDET
JESUS' SON
AMISTAD
PEACEFUL WARRIOR
CITY OF ANGELS
SLING BLADE
TSOTI
thirtysomething, "The Mike Van Dyke Show"
SIGNS
MAN OF LA MANCHA
BOOMTOWN, episode 14
SIGNS
CHARIOTS OF FIRE
WEST WING, "The Two Cathedrals"
CONSTANTINE
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
ELECTION
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
NOSTALGIA

(Participants included Chris Hansen, Jack Gilbert, Gillette Elvgren, Buzz McLaughlin, Craig Detweiller, Claire Sera, Sean Gaffney, Kevin Miller, Jim Krueger, Aaron Wiederspahn and many others.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you participate in "Art Within"?

Ron Reed said...

Yes, I took part in the first three, but sat out the fourth (from which this list is derived). The first three combined film and stage, screenwriters and playwrights, and I could justify the time away as an investment in play development for Pacific Theatre, as well as my own playwriting. But in year four the emphasis shifted entirely to film, and while I would have loved to take part, didn't have the same professional rationale for attending.

Do you know Art Within?

R