Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NOW PLAYING: You The Living, A Serious Man, It Might Get Loud

Quick note about three Soul Food-ish titles playing this week.


YOU, THE LIVING is at Pacific Cinematheque Thursday night only, 7:30. More Nordic strangeness with distinctly Biblical moments, from the creator of SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR. I saw it at VIFF last year or the year before, and liked it immensely.


Jeff Overstreet is recommending A SERIOUS MAN, the Coen brothers' latest, a Book Of Job story set among the Jewish community in the 1960s midwest. TinselTown (3:00 4:15 5:30 6:45 8:00 9:15 10:30) and the Park (4:00 7:00 9:20).



Not that there's any straight up Soul food, but Soul Foodies are often U2 fans, and The Edge is featured in IT MIGHT GET LOUD, a celebration of the rock guitar. TinselTown 2:50, 5:10, 7:40, 10:00

1 comment:

Alfred J. Garrotto said...

I saw "Serious Man" the other day. Oddly, I didn't like it a whole lot while watching it. But over the past few days, my wife and I have had some good discussions about its themes. So, in retrospect, I'm beginning to like the film.